Friday, February 18, 2011

DDM Conference

I was greatly honored to chair the 2011 Destination Design Management Conference. Recently held in San Francisco, it brought together over 120 design leaders from large and small CPGs, social networks, financial services, retailers, B2Bs (business-to-business), brand owners, and strategic design consultancies.
It was one of the most inspirational and valuable industry experiences I have ever attended. Those who know me also know that I attend a lot of conferences. This particular one transformed into an advocacy group who has vowed to continue working together to further the ideas discussed and quantify design, design thinking, the design processes and the client/agency relationship.

Attached are some of my presentations from my keynote address and the panel sessions I moderated. Also attached are my brief notes from each of the two main days.

IIR (Institute for International Research), the organization that runs this event, will soon be posting the remaining presentations on their site. Check back to this blog for directions on how to access them.

Also about to be launched is a selective listserve among conference attendees.  This opt-in email list will allow participants to interact with one another immediately and anonymously. I have seen discussion-based online forums work well with other industry associations. To my knowledge, this is the first advocacy group to use discussion forums the design management industry.  Please email Rob@wallacechurch.com if you’d like to be included in this insightful resource.

Lastly, attached are links to a series of articles referred to in my presentations on a methodology for quantifying design's return on investment. The initial article with its proven methodology can be found by clicking here, and its supportive information can be found by clicking here.

I thank the 25 presenters and the more than 120 participants. I also encourage you to continue the dialog via the LinkedIn Design Leaders Group and the proprietary email listserve soon to be launched. Looking forward to next year already!

Rob