Monday, March 21, 2011

Thought for Food

By Carolyn Edgecomb

Ideas come from the most unexpected places. Two years ago my aunt showed me
my grandmother’s collection of handwritten recipes—and I was in awe. In
today’s age of blogging, Facebook, and LiveJournal, people just don’t DO that anymore. So, as an homage to my grandmother, a gift to my future
grandchildren, and my own private rebellion against my millennial
birthright, I started a handwritten journal to document my forays into the
culinary jungle.

It began with just my home-cooking experiences but before long I was writing
about restaurants I went to, conversations I had with friends, and every
transcendent mouthful I took. It turns out to have been one of the most
rewarding ventures I have ever undertaken. Now, a year and two months later,
I am not only a better cook, but also a better writer and artist. The best
part is, this is only the beginning. Who knows where this project will go...
other than my tummy of course.

Here are some of my recent sketches.


Of course, one of the fastest and easiest ways to share my sketches with
the world is to post them on our blog. Ironic, no?

By Carolyn Edgecomb